Residents benefit from 20 acres
Penrhos Home is owned by the Polish Housing Society Limited,
a registered charitable organisation founded in 1949. The registered
office is at Penrhos Home, Pwllheli.
Following political developments during the II World War, over
100,000 servicemen, members of the Polish Armed Forces under British
Command, could not return to Poland and decided to remain in the
The Polish Resettlement Corps decided to find and develop a site
where some of these ex-combatants could be housed, especially
those who were too old to start looking for work in civilian life.
The old air base at RAF Penrhos was leased from the Air Ministry
and then in 1964 it was purchased outright. Some soldiers were
fortunate enough to have their families join them thus making
it the first home of its type for Polish people in the UK.
Initially people were housed in wooden barracks - the old airmen's
quarters. With time purpose built accommodation was erected to
provide a range of flats for people with differing care needs.
These were eventually divided into sheltered housing, residential
care and most recently nursing care. A church, library, common
rooms, and a shop were set up on site turning what was an air
base into a "Polish Village".
Penrhos home lies in approx. 20 acres of grounds with a wide
variety of trees, shrubs and vegetation surrounding buildings
on the site. There are plenty of areas where residents may walk
knowing that they are safe within the boundary of the Home.
We aim to provide residents with a quality of life and a level
of care to which they are entitled, within a safe and friendly
Staff are of Polish, Welsh and English origin. The Manager is
directly responsible to a voluntary Board of Directors.